Monday, August 31, 2015

USING SHEETS OF DIE-CUTS FROM KITS AS A TEMPLATE/STENCIL

Today's MISM project has more to do with technique than design.  When I received this month's My Paper Pumpkin kit, I fell in love with the die-cut flowers, which showed up on a pretty pink piece of paper like this:
And, after the flowers were removed from the paper and curled with a bone folder, they looked like this:
I decided to scan the pink paper into my Brother Scan 'n Cut machine so that I could cut more flowers whenever I wanted to use them for a project:
After I scanned the paper, I duplicated and saved the image so that I could cut six flowers from scrap DSP:
I shaped the flowers:
The stamen was created with a 1" x 8-1/2" strip of Early Espresso cardstock that I cut with Fringe Scissors.  A line of adhesive was placed on one end of the cardstock, and I started rolling it from the other end and then fanned out the top of the finished piece:
The flower layers were assembled, the stamen was adhered to the center, and my completed flower was used to decorate the top of this box:
If you prefer a taller stamen, you can use a wider piece of cardstock, but I liked this size.  I also liked the thinner cuts created by the fringe scissors versus the stamen that came in the MPP kit.  This month's kit also came with a sheet of die-cut labels and tags and, once the shapes are removed from the paper, I'll be able to use it as a template to scan into my Brother Scan 'n Cut so that I can cut more of those shapes as desired.  The sheets of die-cut shapes that come with My Paper Pumpkin and other kits can also be used as stencils for your projects!

2 comments:

Create With Christy said...

You are so smart and creative, Regina! I will definitely be doing this with my Cricut Explore! :)

Nancy Dawson said...

Very Clever! Love it...